Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Nutrition!

For the first time since I started my Doctorate program I was able to save up some money and to buy HEALTHY foods! I usually buy more processed foods as they are less expensive. I also buy and eat way too many carb products for that same reason. Bread, cereal is cheap!
So, this time I have a plan. I created my grocerie list which included many fruits (grapefruit, blueberries, bananas, apples and pears), veggies (frozen and fresh, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, romain salad,..), nuts, eggs and fresh chicken (protein), nutri shakes like ensure (for mornings or before exercise or when I do not have a lot of time) and protein bars (for before and after runs).
My bill was around 70 dollars, which I have not spent in well, almost 7 months probably, or more. After my shopping spree, I went at home and used my gyminee nutrition tracker to add in my foods. Trying to get my calorie goals for the day. My main issue is that I eat too many carbs and not enough protein (usually do not eat chicken, but need it). I must also focus on more dietary fiber and healthy fats.
So as I started to add in the foods I had already, I realized this was not going to be easy! It is now 9:14 pm and I do not wish to eat anything more but I did not reach my calorie goal so I will wake up hungry probably. I am not hungry right now so that is good.
As I evaluate my foods, I need more protein and calories but without having more carbs. So I decided to look up protein and well, chicken, eggs. I did not know milk has protein, interesting, as I drink a lot of milk. I realize that even though I have had classes on nutrition and I teach nutrition in my classes, there is a lot I need to learn. So during the next 8 weeks, together with my students who are also using the Gyminee to track their workouts and nutrition, I will focus on eating healthy and meeting calorie goals, even if it takes some time and effort.
I just hope I can keep buying these foods, as that is probably the most challenging part... money. But I a confident I will do this and hope to learn tools to share with my students.
Another challenge is to make sure I can improve my eating AND enhance my running. So, I am reading up on that topic every day. If you have interesting books that discuss nutrition and running, I would love to hear from you!
And for anyone alse struggling with their nutrition, I recommend you track the foods you eat so you can see what you are putting into your body. Let's get control over our own body!
I have to live with it and I want to keep it for a long time! :)

No comments:

Exercise of the Day