Thursday, January 8, 2009

Can a Fitness Concepts Class enhance students fitness level in 8 weeks?


The challenge I brought to myself! I am teaching my fitness concepts class in an active way and would like to know if my classes can encourage students to be fit, to keep a fitness plan going for 8 weeks and to enhance their fitness. At the same time, I do lecture about fitness during the active sessions, plus the students are required to read the chapters and do quizzes on them so I want to see if their knowledge of fitness is enhanced as well.

How will I do this? Well, must get ethics approval first. But second all students will have a pre and post fitness assessment. In addition I would like to send out a little survey where students can comment on which sessions they enjoyed the most and whether or not they thought the fitness class encouraged them to be active on off days. For extra credit, I will ask students to sign up for gyminee that will track their progress in workouts and nutrition.

I hope some students will want to add the workouts to the program as we create a community of students who want to get fit! I have only 25 students this time so a great way to try it out and see what works. I want to later do it again with my two courses in March that will each have 25 students so that should provide me with a good estimate on whether or not what I am doing is helping the students get fit and get motivated to be and stay fit!

The reason why I am thinking about is (read last blogpost) is because I have taught the course before and yes the students learn the concepts of fitness but what are they worth if they do not apply them? I do not see that the course inspires people to get fit while we have a great opportunity to at least try to get them active. There are about 16 slots of fitness concepts taught each semester so that is reaching 400 students! That is 800 students per year! And if other students like the course, they will let their friends know. I really want the undergrad students to enjoy being active so they can adopt a "physical" lifestyle.

If you have any suggestions on what the survey would look like, please let me know. I have to design that soon so I can get ethics approval. Other suggestions are welcome too of course! :)

No comments:

Exercise of the Day