Saturday, January 3, 2009

Long overdue! My Christmas / New Years' letter!






Reflecting on the year that has passed is not easy and actually, to be quite honest, I tried to avoid writing this letter even though I wanted to do it and need to do it. Why? I guess it helps me to wrap up the year and celebrate what I have done in order to embrace where I am today and set goals to where I must go next. If that makes sense.






2008 was a FULL year I would say and it was full of ups and downs. More and more I am realizing that I always tend to take the rough road, or shall we say I prefer trails than pavement. If there are two choices I always tend to go for the most challenging, different or "extreme" path. And sometimes I must learn to be satisfied with the even road. Maybe that can be a 2009 goal. In 2008, as a new year began many other new beginnings happened. I opened my heart to a new man (yes it is still open :), I wrote a Masters thesis in English (first time), I moved to a new place (Arkansas, for all my MB friends, I was hiking today with only 1 shirt and had to pull my sleeves up because it was too hot!), I met new friends, I started a new program of study and I dove into a new physical activity (trail running). With new beginnings there must always be closures as well even though I don't think anything is ever finished, completed, final. But I did have to say goodbye of my friends in MB whom I hope to see again in the spring. I also had to leave the University of Manitoba, specifically the PE department where I learned a lot and received a lot of support, mainly from my mentor, advisor and friend Joannie. I miss her a lot as well. I completed a masters which made me happy and even though I know exactly what I want to do later in life (teach future PE teachers), I still seem lost as to the area I wish to specialize in because I have many interests: teaching PE, effective teaching practices, basic movement skills, motivation, fitness, technology in PE, web collaboration, social networking, teaching games for understanding,... It is always the same thing! On one hand scholars specialize, on the other hand, I want to know about a lot of things in PE, not just one area so picking one research idea is difficult. Right now I am a little bit overwhelmed but I think (well, I hope) that my spring courses may spark some interest in the specifics. One aspect that I am missing is someone to discuss my ideas, to help me stay grounded and focused and to challenge my mind, just as Joannie once did. A mentor, advisor, here in Arkansas, I have yet to find. Perhaps I should look beyond and find one online.



Now there is an idea! Twitter that! Help needed: mentor/advisor needed in the area of PE and the Internet! I will try that! I can a lot accomplished on twitter so who knows.



Speaking of twitter, in 2008 I have learned to use many new tools on the Internet. Besides Twitter, wikis would be my favorite. The NING network I am exploring to spark more interactions between students. SLN like blackboard, Angel and webct I have used. Ustream, audacity, wordle, Jing, blogging, ... I have really enjoyed learning and when I do, I try to connect each tool to PE so I can see how these tools can enhance learning in PE, which is one of my areas of research. I think I take on too many tools and should examine several tools but over a certain amount of time, like 3 months per tool. I think I try to do it all at once which does not work and in fact makes things very blurry. So new 2009 goal: try to connect a new Internet tool to PE every 3 months, do research on it and report on it! Right now I am examining wikis in different capacities so I am sticking with that for the Spring. I am also looking at NING in one course.



The summer of 2008 was interesting, I completed writing my thesis and started July 1st at the University of Arkansas. I did not do my usual New York visit nor did I teach skiing this winter so this has affected my finances. But, I see a light at the end of the tunnel now that I have found a roommate who will split the rent with me. That is awesome! I am also looking forward to getting to know her better in 2009.



It is no wonder that my mind has been overloaded now that I realize that I did not stop working (meaning school stuff, research) until the Christmas holiday. So this holiday has been about moving (physically) and reading (book non related to school work) and relaxing! I have started a new workout program to try to meet my activity goal of year 2009! In April, I am still planning on entering the 50K trail running race. Even though I am re-starting my running plans for the 3rd time, I am confident that I am going to meet that goal. Stay tuned!

What 2009 will bring I do not know but I hope I give myself more time to breathe. New courses and new plans but hopefully a bike (as I want to start biking this spring) and perhaps a vacation to Belgium. I really feel like I crammed 3 years into 2008 and I do not want that for 2009! Let's start going on slower roller coasters, not the fast ones with 5 loops but perhaps one with 2 loops. Slowing down seems important to my survival! haha



Summing up my 2009 goals:



- Slow down, Learn to relax and have fun being relaxed



- Run and complete the 50K



- Get a bike



- Go to Belgium



- Find a mentor



- Keep learning



- Keep moving



- Get better at teaching!






I wish everyone an active 2009!








1 comment:

Catina said...

Good for you for focusing on one tool at a time! In my master's , I focused solely on inquiry in science and on using sensors. By the end, I realized they could be used for much more than what I'd anticipated! I really struggled with integrating both at the beginning, but the more I practiced and stretched myself, the more I realized this is truly an ongoing, ever possible strategy. You can read about my lessons on http://inquiryinvascience.pbwiki.com

Sometimes it will be frustrating, limiting yourself to one tool, but stick with it! You will learn so much more. Just don't forget to journal about each often or else you will forget it as you work with the next tool!

Good luck, and happy 2009!

Exercise of the Day