Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Teaching Fitness!



As I begin the new semester, I am trying to make the courses I teach easy on me but here is the problem, I really want my students to learn something so I do end up putting a lot of work into the courses I teach. More so probably than the courses I take. That may be a bad thing in grad school but oh well. I am all about improving teaching practices and trying out new and different tools so here I go. In the fitness course I teach I will be taking a practical approach. The students and I will explore different ways on getting fit in an active way. The theory, let's say fitness principles behind it I will teach while they are active. I say let's practice what we preach and perhaps I can motivate some students to get active! I don't think talking about fitness gets people active. I think experiencing different fitness programs/exercises can perhaps spark some interest. I am still working on all the classes but I am going to offer 3 classes per week focused on weight training, cardio and flexibility. Starting from going to the gym and doing it the way most people do it to exploring some of the programs people are doing right now such as P90X, Chalean Extreme, Pilates, Yoga, Hyperfitness, Interval Training, bosu ball, stability ball exercises,... It is not like I will sell these products but as I am using some of their exercises I will mention this to the students and on my website I can provide links so if they are interested, they can buy them.
Talking about Chalean Extreme, I have been using it for 1.5 weeks. I really like it thus far, it seems like it is just up my alley. 45 min workouts based on weight training but heavier weights and lesser reps to force muscle fatigue. Her motto is: muscle burns fat!
Check out my fitness concepts class wiki: Fitness!

No comments:

Exercise of the Day