Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Defense Date set!

After hours and hours of writing frustration, it is finally over. My thesis is completed and now I must present it in an oral defense. I hope all goes well. Coordinating schedules with the committee members was not easy but a July 24th date has been set and I am happy I will be able to graduate this year. As a grad student, it seems crucial to be in contact with your committee members throughout the process and especially around the summer so you can organize your defense around their holidays. Not an easy task, especially when they all take holidays at a different time. Completing my 2 year degree in 1.5 years has caused some issues but I am glad these will all resolve itself. One lesson I have learned is to read all the guidelines of grad school and map out the important deadlines prior to beginning the program. No one is going to guide you through it as in high school or undergrad. It is really up to you to know what your program entails, what your rights are and what you must do to complete it. If you don't know! Ask! Don't expect someone to come up to you and do it for you or pointing you in the right direction. Ofcourse it does help to have a good relationship with your advisor. I had a wonderful relationship with my advisor and I am a bit worried about finding a new one for my PhD program. This relationship can be crucial to the success of your program and your choice of mentor must be carefully thought through.

Happy Canada day to all Canadians! I am suppose to start my GA position at the U of A but I am not sure what to do or where to go so I am just waiting it out. I also am waiting for my furniture to come. I can't believe that my Masters is coming to an end and my PhD is going to begin soon. I am very excited.

No comments:

Exercise of the Day