Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Being an international student in the US is much more frustrating than being one in Canada

That is my personal thought but so far it has not been an easy start here in the US. Most of it has to do with money. It is expensive and even with a teaching position, it is still difficult to make ends meet.
The only burden I came across in Canada was starting the program in January and finishing to quick (1.5 years). And even though I seem to miss out on some of the notifications but they did not hinder my education. I also felt more at home and right away started to do things that required some more self-confidence. Such as being a grad rep.
In the US, I feel somewhat inhibited. Perhaps it is because I am older or maybe I have become more critical or negative (hope not), but everything seems to be much more difficult.
A few examples: the money issue is big! I really need and want to buy a bike (roadbike) so I decided to go on a payment plan and pay of a $1000 bike over a few months. No can do! You have to establish credit in order to buy a bike on a plan. But here is the trick, in order to establish credit you need a credit card. So I tried to get one but couldn't as I needed an established credit to get a credit card! ARGGHHH So this year it is somewhat difficult as I have to count each penny. What makes it even more difficult is the little fees I have to deal with.
Example: I have had my social security card for the past 3 months, replied to an email that made me enter in the info on an official website. Thought that was it. NOPE, thought wrong. Got a 50 dollar late fee because I did not copy the card and brought it to person x y or z. Oh no, it is: bring it to person x y AND z! Papers must go to different people in stead of using one central station. Frustrating! I had three orientation sessions regarding the same thing but all mandatory: one for being a grad student, one for being an international student and one for being a graduate teaching assistant. Thinking I would get it all and understand it! Guessed wrong!
All this info is very overwhelming to a new student EVEN if she has been a grad student elsewhere. The one thing you want to make sure you get done is get into courses and connect with people so you do not feel alone. Oh well, you need a lot more.
Anyway, though I would vent, needed it! Thanks for those who listen in. I know I must be patient, only 1 semester passed and it feels like I have been here for a whole year already. Completed 3 small research projects, thought 6 courses, setting up a pilot for dissertation, taking 4 grad courses and publishing a paper. Ok ok ok, maybe I am just doing too much.

Well, my break in a week should come in handy! ;)
Again, thanks for listening... reading I mean.

No comments:

Exercise of the Day