Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Moving along, ideas for dissertation.

Alright, as I continue on this path I think I am slowly beginning to formulate the progression of my dissertation idea. It's about time don't you think? I have been here for one semester! Should almost be completing this thesis. ok, joking aside. Firstly, my area of research: instructional technology in PETE. A bit more specific: how can we use the Internet for learning about teaching PE? Even more specific: how can wikis and blogs help PE teacher candidates become successful as first year PE teachers?
From my experience with wikis and blogs, I do believe that there is a learning curve even though it is easy technology. Yet, not for everyone and I think students should have some exposure learning "about" the technology before they starting using it in its full capacity.
IN my previous research studies working with wikis and next blogs, I have learned many things and the most important experience was teaching with technology using scaffolds.
I always seem to come back to scaffolding. Perhaps it is because of my "constructivist beliefs" and my "student-centered teaching philosophy" but I strongly believe in learning through collaboration and other social events. Therefore, using wikis and blogs can be (I hypothesize) useful in PETE.
Ok, here are my first thoughts:
I would like to follow a cohort of students in a class where in different courses they use a different tool (wiki, blog, social network) all the way through to graduation. Leaving me time afterwards to also investigate how using these tools helps the students in their first year of teaching. So, a progression of learning about and through different tools along their years of study in a PETE program. Here is the progression: If you have other ideas, let me know!
Course #1: Learn to wiki for group projects, creating games together, encouraging writing about PE and teaching
Course #2: Learn to blog - using NING - class blogging for class interaction and reflection outside of regular class time, finding online resources
Course #3: Using NING + wiki: During practicum - reflection and collaborative lesson planning
Course #4: Personal blogging + learning about RSS feeds and using the Internet as a resource: in this class the focus is to build a personal blog as a portfolio before graduation.
Final progression: First year teaching (this is a study that I can do after my thesis is completed): investigate the impact of using technology on their first year of teaching.

So, what do you think? Any suggestions?
This next semester I will start my first Pilot study using step #3 during a practicum. I can do pilots focused on each step over the course of next year. One thing is that I must do my comps before starting my official research, which means that I must complete all my coursework, which means that I can only start my research in my third year, but I can try to find a way to set it all up for that time and find courses where I can have a cohort of students.

IDEAS? SUGGESTIONS? Always welcome! (kinda needed, as I am kind of by myself in this here, snif snif. haha, not a lot of possibilities to collaborate on my dissertation ideas here mainly due to the topic I have chosen)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think this is an excellent idea. More technology needs to be incorporated into PE teacher education programs. I really like the idea of using NING and collaborative lesson planning. It is great that you are studying this area, web2.0 can greatly improve physical education. I have just created my own online portfolio and use del.icio.us to sort online resources. Good luck, I think this will work very well.
-mcfarljo

Exercise of the Day