Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Week 5


Week 5 in badminton consisted of:

Tuesday: Smash and Drive

Thursday: Doubles Strategies


During the Tuesday class I had the students work on reaction speed and they really seem to enjoy that. On Thursday I did partner activities during the warm-up to get them started before their double play. Concepts such as teamwork, trust and communication were addressed.


I let the students play as much as possible, in fact they are always playing. Maybe not for points necessary but they are always in game situations. Thinking I was doing well with engaging them, one student asked when it was time to actually play a game. I really could not believe my ears... it is probably the one comment I am always trying to avoid. I used the tactical approach, yet, they did not believe they were actually playing. I believe that "playing" to the students means competitive play with keeping score and in trournaments. That is what we are starting today. I understand where they are coming from and I guess next time, I need to have an organized system in play to have them play games with score and keep so forth. Perhaps even have a running total going. That is what I have been thinking about. I learned a lot from teaching this way and I learned how I can do it differently, hopefully better, even though I think the students have been enjoying themselves. I will do a self-reflection/ evaluation today and that should provide some insight.

This week we are starting our tournament play! Singles first, than doubles.

The game is on!

No comments:

Exercise of the Day