Tuesday, June 3, 2008

PHETE Night























On a Monday evening, in Banana Leaf Restaurant in Vancouver, on the last evening of the Congress, a team of scholars ( and me), shared a wonderful meal spiced with tales of the past. Being in the midst of these scholars, I felt honored and privileged. As they had many experiences, both in life and academia, I knew they would be a great resource for me as a graduate student. Even though I will read many texts starting September 08, I thought the summer would be a great time to read books that would not appear on my course list but maybe a valuable inspiration to me as a learner, a teacher or a friend. The opportunity to ask experienced writers, scholars and academics to compile my summer reading was the beginning of this quest.

The books above were kindly and purposely listed by the other PHETE members.

I asked the following question:

As a graduate student, I wish for you to each think of a book that would be worthwhile reading within my journey through graduate school. As I embark on doctoral studies, a summer reading list to inspire and ignite questions and perhaps answers which may challenge or sooth my quest for knowledge acquisition at a different level.

For myself, I pose the questions:
- What do these books tell me about myself, life and education?
- How can these books assist me within my graduate work?
- As inspired by scholars in the area of education, why did they provide me with these books What can these books tell me about the scholars who chose them?
- How will these books shape me and how did these books shape them?

The Congress 2008, a worthwhile trip for learning and listening and creating community. Even though I spent most of my visit to Vancouver in my room writing my thesis, I am thankful for the opportunity to meet some amazing scholars.
This summer, as soon as my master thesis is completed, I will read these books and will record my reflections in this blog as I go along. I will also invite the PHETE Committee to join and respond to my reflections.


Sincerely,


PHETE Graduate REP

No comments:

Exercise of the Day