Friday, May 16, 2008

TGfU Conference

As I lay in bed, 12 midnight, I reflect upon a long day of many highlights.
I arrived late last night into Vancouver. I believe it was 2 am when I finally settled into my room at Gage Towers. I was happy to be here after a 12 hour journey from Little Rock. Three flights, thank goodness no delays!
Got up at 6 to get ready for the big day! My first poster presentation! I was to say the least stoked! Sharing your work is exciting yet scary but as a grad student I have learned to take criticism or answer the tough questions. A memory of my thesis proposal flashes in front of me. How I did not think that a proposal was more like a defense. But I think that hearing the tough questions then made me more relaxed now. So I was ready!
Off I went to the conference. I must admit that although I was very interested in what Judy Rink was talking about, I had a difficult time concentrating. Through my head went: did I bring this, is my poster safe, will I be asked tough questions, will people like the wiki idea, will I be able to stand on my feet at 6 pm tonight,... Yes, pretty basic questions that required only a few braincells, much less than the amount that was needed to comprehend the lecture presented in front of me. Anything I take away from the session:
- Good thing I took notes! I knew I wasn't focused so later on I can review the notes and maybe remember! (First thing you learn as a grad student: have a note pad with you at all times! You never know when that magical research question is going to pop up!)
- TGfU needs a theoretical foundation ----- learning theory, linear theory (?) - Note to myself: look it up!
- Constructivism: nothing new!
- Subconscious level vs conscious -- made me think of surface vs deep teaching but probably had nothing to do with it.
- ....
- need my notes... later, too tired now.
After Rink, I went to put up my poster and pretty much walked around the poster board about 40 times that day. I visited all the people around and attempted to join in more session but well, as I noticed that I was continuously showing up late and missed the boot, I did not get too much info from the sessions.
I did learn that doing a poster presentation is quite relaxing and fun! My favorite part, who would have guessed? Was talking to people and sharing information and asking them if they would be interested in creating a global tgfu wiki.
When I arrived at home, I believed I had 12 people I invited to join the wiki I had pre-made.
Now the ball is in their court, I hope to attract more people and get the ball rolling!
I am quite excited to see how the wiki will evolve.
Thinking about how late it is and the full day set out for me tomorrow.
I am loving every minute of the conference though, to me, most importantly is the networking involved, I am actually getting to know people! That is very neat! I hope that using the wiki I get to know even more people and I can start an active dialogue to translate knowledge to a variety of people in theory and practice.

No comments:

Exercise of the Day