Wednesday, November 12, 2008

MyPyramid Tracker

In one course I ask my students to complete at least 3 days a full account on their eating and activity levels. I use the pyramid tracker and even though I tried it out once, I decided to go with it for a week. Reason? I think I eat too much in the weekend because I don't eat enough during the week. So let's see that this is correct. This tracker takes into consideration your activity level as well as the foods you eat and than calculates the energy balance, which should be around 0 if you wish to maintain weight, which I want to do. If my hypothesis is correct, my energy balance should be out of wack. Let's have a look.


So, my hypothesis was correct for today. Not good. My food intake was fine but not enough according to the activities I did. I did go to Aldi for groceries but I was active quit a bit today and that was not reflected in my eating habits.
When I assess my daily intake of nutrients this is what it said:

Dietary Guidelines
Recommendations My intake Recommended
Grain Good 10.9 oz equivalent 8 oz equivalent
Vegetable Average 2.3 cup equivalent 3 cup equivalent
Fruit Average 1.5 cup equivalent 2 cup equivalent
Milk Good 5 cup equivalent 3 cup equivalent
Meat and Beans Poor 0 oz equivalent 6.5 oz equivalent

Dietary Guidelines
Recommendations My intake Recommendation or Goal
Total Fat Poor 7.1% of total calories 20% to 35%
Saturated Fat Good 2.1% of total calories less than 10%
Cholesterol Good 25 mg less than 300 mg
Sodium Average 2424 mg less than 2300 mg

Ok, I really do not like beans.... and I guess I need foods that have more fat... humnn
I did take an e-gel between workouts, which gives me electrolytes and 100 cal. That was not counted for. Anyway, no wonders I was hungry when I got home at 9 pm. The problem is that I hate eating that late so again, I must get smart and just buy the food before the day begins! I try to save on money but food is not the area I should not spend money on. Lesson learned, I did go to the grocery store and we'll see what happens tomorrow.
On the active side, I taught my students core exercises in a 40 minute active class and as I was working out hard so did they so it just felt great working out with my students. This goes back to my idea to incorporate blended learning next semester.
Students can learn the theory (or at least most of it) online through reading, ppt viewing, guided tasks and come to school and learn fitness theory in practice. Focusing more on engaging the students in fitness activities may actually enhance their learning and encourage them to be more active? Perhaps, just a speculation.
Another aspect I am not good at is going to bed at a descent time before an early morning. Let's try that right now!

No comments:

Exercise of the Day