Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Using social networks in PETE

Completed an iVocalize session yesterday for an online course I am talking from the U of M on "online teaching". The course introduces people to several tools that can be used when you are teaching an online or hybrid course.
Before the start of the course I wanted to firstly gain more practical info on web 2.0 tools and how to import these effectively in your courses. When I started the course I found that I got a lot more theory than practice, which to me was a well needed challenge at the time. The course discusses several aspects of online learning and while the first few weeks went by without notice trying to figure out the "angel" network, yesterday's session was worth my while. This week we are discussion metacognition, which in fact is part of my research in PE. How do we teach teachers to be more reflective and can it improve their practice?
Last week I discussed the potential in using social networks with PETE students to combine discussion groups and blogs to encourage refection and critical analysis of their teaching. In addition, I believe that wikis can assist in the scaffolding of knowledge and reflection upon practice. So to put it all together, I had a good idea but it was not quite grounded in theory.
As I was looking at books and articles around blended learning, I was not finding what I was looking for until last night. I think that "cognitive apprenticeship" can form a framework around the pilot study I would like to do.
Here is what cognitive apprenticeship is:
"Cognitive apprenticeships are situated within the social constructivist paradigm. They suggest students work in teams on projects or problems with close scaffolding of the instructor. Cognitive apprenticeships are representative of Vygotskian "zones of proximal development" in which student tasks are slightly more difficult than students can manage independently, requiring the aid of their peers and instructor to succeed". Cognitive apprenticeship hold several parts: modeling, coaching, scaffolding, reflection, articulation, and exploration. These I must further explore.
Therefore, my next step: LIBRARY SEARCH! (which I did last night and saved several articles, which I have yet to read). That takes me to my next step: understand the theory and put it into practice.
So, can a cognitive apprenticeship theory form the grounds to enhancing metacognition among practicum students in PE? That's my question right now.

No comments:

Exercise of the Day