Thursday, August 7, 2008

Insomnia

According to Wikipedia, insomnia is a symptom of a sleeping disorder characterized by persistent difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep despite the opportunity. It is typically followed by functional impairment while awake. Insomniacs have been known to complain about being unable to close their eyes or "rest their mind" for more than a few minutes at a time. This is the fourth time within the past 2 weeks I have not been able to fall asleep even though I am tired. Is this because of all the changes that have happened in my life this summer or is there something that I am not doing right? I feel restless all the time and I can't seem to shut my mind off for the night. I even tried counting sheet!
Anyway, today I finished my coursework and handed in my exam. Now I have two weeks to prep for the courses that I teach, design a research study, get IRB approval, go through a week and a half of orientations and oh yeah, try to sleep and relax when I can.
Is this perhaps all too much for me? Really now? I love to take on challenges but somehow this is different. Is there something that changes when you move from a Masters to a PhD? Does somehow the pressure increase inherently? What is going on? Do I think everything will be ok once I get into a routine and get to know people? Is it the loneliness? Or is it just me?
I hope this is a phase, I hope so. I have ups and down more frequently at this time, sometimes a few times a day. I know that I get nervous at new beginnings, nervous and excited, so I just need to try to relax and take it one step at a time and perhaps in a few weeks I will be saying, what happened? I am fine now! I just hope I find my place, a place where I belong. Don't we all want that? Perhaps the fact that I the "stupid" Internet does not work half the time in my apartment so I can't use skype to call home really bothers me. Tomorrow I FINALLY get to talk to my mom and home to call my friends. That will be nice. My mom is back from Russia and I want to hear all about it. She has been out of the loop with my life ever since the move. It has almost been a year now since I have seen her. Perhaps that is what bothers me. Usually summers is when I relax , travel, see my family. Last year this time I was at home in Belgium. I wish I was there now, I need to get AT&T DSL or something so I can get in contact with my family and friends once again.
Anyway, I will try again tonight and I look forward to tomorrow, no library, no books, just me, and free time. Free time to relax, work out and pay attention to myself.
Wish I had money so I would go to the mall and buy something or get a haircut. Oh well, we can't have everything in life now can we?
Good night. I hope it will be a good night.

No comments:

Exercise of the Day