Thursday, August 21, 2008

Orientation completed. New beginnings.

As I complete all the required and at times optional orientation sessions, I begin to realize the start of a new beginning and a new part of my life. I did not think that being a Doctoral student would be any different from being a Master student but I think there is. Actually, I thought there was a lot at stake in my Masters and once I got through it and into a Doctorate I would be just cruising but I don't think that is going to happen. In fact, whatever you do in your doctorate seems to set the bar for whatever you want to go for later in your career. And I can go many different ways. Realizing that things can change in a heart beat, I think I must take the time to settle in, get to know people, find my way around and become familiar with the educational system. Within my first year I would like to explore different areas and the research around it. Perhaps even do small research projects with different profs so I can broaden my thinking before it narrows or focuses again. When the vice chancellor spoke in our orientation, she said that as new students should figure out what we want to do as a career later on. In addition, I should be lining up things on what to do to get there. It made me think of the "path" we do with our students. It is backwards planning. I think that is exactly what I need to do within this first semester. In stead of thinking about the many things i am interested in and how would I ever pick one for my dissertation, I should be writing out what my ultimate goal is and how I can get there.
One thing that I do notice is that this university can provide me with lots of opportunities to study with other professors, do research in different areas and even do internships in different places. One idea I had was perhaps to apply for an internship at AAPHERD in the summer months. I think that may be worthwhile as it is a national accredited organization that works with the many aspects of health, PE, Recreation and dance. It may provide me with ideas for a dissertation.
So, in stead of writing down all my areas of interest, which I did, as I thought that was the right way to figure out what to do; I will attempt to outline what I want to do as a job when I finish my PhD. It is not as simple as stating that I want to be a professor. Well, yes, figured that one out! I must find out what exactly I was to accomplish and where I can provide a service.
A good tip from Dr. Mink today, who by the way has one of the best jobs on campus and it is definitely one that I have an interest in (health promotion - I would like to have it more like wellness promotion to include a more holistic view). He says to minimize stress I should create 3 lists every week, A, B, and C. The A list is things to do right away, the B list is things to do but not urgent and the C things are those that I would like to do but they are not necessary.
One other great tip: when you pick it up, do it, schedule it or throw it away! That is so true, we pick up so many things and either put them away and pick them up again and procrastinate or put them somewhere and forget about it. So, when you pick up something you must do, do it or schedule it! Great point!
A third one, sanctuary, find a sanctuary... I think my apartment can be one as that is a place for me and I am mostly alone there. Away from work. However.... this laptop keeps work close. Another place is perhaps when I run, those places, quiet places surrounded by nature are great for me to relax and reflect in.
So I will have to find a sanctuary, make lists, don't procrastinate and write down what I want to do in 4 years. Then we'll take it from there.
In stead of thinking about dissertations, think of those interests as small research projects, do them, learn from them and then later find one worthwhile that you can specialize in, connected to your goal.
Classes begin Monday so here I go!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Helena,

Just came across you blog! :) Congrats on the continuing of your education in the states!!!! :)


Chris

Exercise of the Day